Friday, February 29, 2008

What inspires the violence?

I first became aware of the contempt with which UP/Bihar is treated when I thought my Bengali friend back to college was Bihari. He practically recoiled at the implied insult (unintentional) in the question. The first time I heard the word "bhaiyyas" used in a derogatory sense was when the watchman in the building killed a big fat lizard we wanted to chase out (not kill) and demanded a 100 rupee payment. The reason - he was a Brahman and had sinned by killing a living creature. I was like 'wtf'. My roommate (who was from UP herself) told him to take a hike. We then found our laundry guy who did it for less than half the price and muttered, "these bhaiyyas" before he left.

Over the last four years, I have sat in many taxis and rickshaws driven by members of the said states. For the most part, I've had no trouble. But whenever I was overcharged (a rare occurrence in Mumbai by itself), its inevitably been by a member of the same group. A classic case of a few rotten apples spoiling the lot? I guess so. But that doesn't give anyone the right to resort to violence. Rhetoric apart, its a fact that Mumbai wouldn't run for a single day if the UP and Bihar folks weren't in the city. People who are hasty with the brick bats, kindly stop and think about it!

2 comments:

Imp's Mom said...

Its ironic, We got our independence thanks to Mahatama Gandhi,a man who preached non-violence.

And now our politicians preach it discreetly.

Materialmom said...

If we all keep quiet for a few moments- without rush or speech- and introspect, we would share an exotic moment together- moment devoid of hostility and harm.
I just read Pablo Neruda's 'Keeping Quiet' and am still in the afterglow.