Monday, September 17, 2007

Much ado about Ganpati

I remember shopping for Ganesha idols with my father when I was a kid. We used to buy a freshly made idol and carry it home carefully so that the wet clay didn't break off. For me, the primary thrill was weaseling a lump of clay from the idol maker's pile and making weird shapes. Dropping the figurine into the well at the back of house on the third day used to be exciting as well- we used to count the number of seconds it fell before we heard the big splash.

Over the years, the clay idols vanished to make way for paper mache and plaster of Paris, I moved out for college and have never been home for the festival since. And all the din in Mumbai for what used to be a fun-yet-peaceful day makes me wish that the government would just ban all the noise being made and make it obligatory for people to stay quiet about their religiousness. And the processions haven't even started. Sigh.

4 comments:

Nerd said...

Not sure about those who have lived in Mumbai for years, but for me the festival is really intriguing.....amazing to see people keep the enthusiasm alive for so many days....i remember the two major festivals holi and diwali lasting barely a few hours back in my hometown....the only time i wish the processions to dissapear is when i travel to Nariman Point during mornings for work.....couple of hours of ordeal

Anush said...

everythin in india is done noisily... festivals to sports to campaigning to singing(as in himesh reshmiya)... thats wat makes india, india... no? [:)] please agree with me... not many do...

Champ said...

Hi... nice to visit your blogs... and gone through some of the reality of life. But you seems not regular..try to post regularly and share your views.

http://totaheri.blogspot.com

Diviya said...

I agree, everything is noisy. But I'd hate to think that the noise is what makes us what we are.