Thursday, May 22, 2008

Mumbai taxi driver==Unscrupulous?

While auto rickshaw fares are simple enough to calculate, I have never been able to decipher the meter reading in Mumbai taxis. To be honest, I haven't paid much attention to the math. Till recently, when I learnt that the fare card for taxis was revised in 2007 with lower rates. However, most taxi drivers still have the old cards, which are about 10% more expensive on an average. Most taxi drivers keep a copy of both the old and new rate cards. New - for when a cop catches them and old - for conning unaware passengers! If you insist on the new card, they will grudgingly pull it out, wave it quickly in front of your eyes and declare it is only 2-3 rupees lower. 2-3 rupees my foot, I don't hear that when they are at the receiving end! And act as if you are this rich miser who would grudge a poor man a few pennies!

Its not just about the money. I have a problem with paying people who trying to con me so blatantly. And it isn't just the "bhaiyyas" who do it. Everybody does, including Maharashtrian drivers and the odd sardars. Maybe Raj and his cronies would do well to focus their energies on correcting such wrongs, which would actually help the citizens of Bombay, oops, Mumbai.

2 comments:

Materialmom said...

Compromise and adjustment are synonymous in effect. And in a personal bond, it also means being not selfish or stubborn. When it is a matter of principles it translates to being practical as against idealistic. In any case one needs to focus on priorities

Priya Joyce said...

I'm impressed you talk of daily issues. You have posted an issue which everyone faces but doesn't bother much about. I really got to think of it after reading your blog.


Read my blogs you'll find similar matter